Snap Traffic Tickets with Your Smartphone
Police issue more than 41 million speeding tickets a year. Without a LegalShield membership, hiring an attorney to fight your ticket could cost more than $150. If you receive a ticket this summer, LegalShield has you covered. Snap, a benefit of the LegalShield app, lets you to take a picture of your traffic ticket with your smartphone and send it directly to your LegalShield provider law firm. You can download the LegalShield app with Snap at the iTunes or Android store today. Here is what you should do if you are pulled over and how to use Snap if you receive a ticket.
- Drive safe and avoid speeding. If you are pulled over, you should first move safely off the road, turn your interior light on at night and keep your hands on the steering wheel. Avoid taking off your seatbelt, searching or moving around in your vehicle while waiting for the officer. Do not exit the vehicle unless you are directed to do so by the officer.
- It is important to be polite and cooperative. Avoid arguing with the officer. Comply with the officer’s requests for your name, driver's license, registration and insurance information. Let the officer know you need to look for your insurance or registration information.
- Signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt, it only shows that you were provided with a copy of the citation. Save any objections or arguments for court. Ultimately a judge will decide if the ticket is valid.
- You are not required to consent to a search of your car. If the officer searches over your objection, stay calm and tell the officer you object to the search but do not physically resist the search.
- If you are issued a ticket use Snap to send it directly to your LegalShield provider law firm. Make sure the whole ticket is visible and the image is legible before submitting to the attorney.
- Once received, your LegalShield provider law firm will process the information and call you within eight business hours. Submitting your ticket right away helps ensure an attorney is available for your court date and has plenty of time to prepare your case.
- If you have questions or do not hear back from your LegalShield provider law firm within 8 business hours you should call them directly. Your provider law firm information can be located on your LegalShield mobile app or through the “Ask Erin” feature on www.legalshield.com.
The LegalShield app also gives you access to the LegalShield will questionnaire, contact information and provides important legal tips and plan information. You may also update your membership information.
After you download and use the app, please rate and review at the iTunes or Android store. Your feedback helps us continue to improve and refine the app.
What You Need to Know in the Aftermath of an Auto Accident
In the critical minutes after an auto accident, adrenaline is pumping and everything moves quickly. While the physical safety of everyone involved should be the first priority, it is also important to understand your legal rights and responsibilities. In the days and weeks following an accident, you may be forced to deal with medical issues, insurance claims, lawsuits and even potential criminal charges. Your LegalShield provider law firm is standing by to help you understand your rights and legal options. If you have any questions, contact your LegalShield provider law firm. Your provider law firm information can be located on your LegalShield mobile app or through the “Ask Erin” feature on www.legalshield.com.
- Safety First - Pull safely to the side of the road and out of the traffic lanes, if possible. If you cannot do so or you feel it is dangerous to move your vehicle, carefully exit your vehicle and move yourself to a safe location away from traffic until help arrives.
- Police - Even if your accident seems minor, call the police and file an accident report. Do not admit guilt or responsibility for the accident to the police or other persons. Some individuals who are shaken up after an accident become overly apologetic while others may become angry and combative. Remind yourself to stay calm and let the police do their job.
- Hit-and-Run – Never chase a hit-and-run driver. A chase puts you and other drivers in danger. You can use your phone or other smart device to make quick note of the make, model and license plate number. If you can only remember one piece of information, make it the other driver’s license plate number. Next, call the police. Even if you have very little information about the other driver, a police report will be necessary for any insurance claim or legal action.
- Information - Exchange information with the driver of the other car or cars. Gather names, phone numbers, addresses and insurance information. If there are witnesses on the scene, take down their contact information as well. Witnesses may be particularly helpful in identifying hit-and-run drivers or understanding the full picture of a major accident. Use your phone to take pictures of the accident scene and any property damage.
- Documents - Organize all documents regarding your accident and keep them together. Important documents include the police report, the other driver’s information, insurance documents, medical papers, repair estimates or bills associated with the accident. Keeping your documentation organized will help you and your attorney accurately review your matter and calculate expenses.
- Injury – If you or a loved one is injured in an accident, it is extremely important to contact an attorney as soon as possible. Those who are seriously injured are often unable to gather evidence at the scene. An attorney can help explain the process and help make sure vital information is gathered and preserved as evidence.
- Settlement Agreements - It may be tempting to take a settlement to pay for repairs, a replacement vehicle or medical bills, but it is important to make sure the settlement is fair and that it truly compensates you for the long-term consequences of the accident. An attorney can help you consider all of the potential costs and negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf. Do not sign any documents or agree to any type of settlement without calling your LegalShield provider law firm to speak with an attorney.
LegalShield Member Success Stories
More than 45 years ago, we opened our doors to protect people and that is still what we do today for millions of individuals and tens of thousands of businesses across the United States and Canada. Here are just a few of the LegalShield and IDShield success stories that inspire us.
I really liked how [my provider lawyer] handled my traffic ticket case. I was in and out of the court house in under ten minutes and I didn’t have to pay any out of pocket expenses. Virginia Member, Joshua R.
I was very happy with the way they conducted my case. I could not believe they could get my traffic ticket completely off my record and I even didn't have to pay anything on the ticket either. I was truly impressed and very pleased. Thank you so much, you guys are the best! Washington Member, Cindy F.
The lawyers ALWAYS return your calls and are very professional. I loved the speeding ticket service, that I did not have to leave my disabled mother who is bedridden to go to court. They did it all for me for at no additional cost! What a wonderful service that was with no points on my license. Every employer SHOULD have this for their employees. Nevada Member, Albert G.
We are inspired when we hear stories from our customers and associates! If you have a story where your LegalShield or IDShield membership helped you--whether it was a small matter or a large one--please share it with us. Click here to share your story.